ADHD Frequently Asked Questions

I’ve been prescribed ADD/ADHD medication for years.  What is the best strategy to continue treatment at S&T?

Maintain a relationship with your current prescriber.  If your present prescriber is a pediatrician and you are now over 18, discuss with them referral to another local provider.  Student Health Services has partnered with Pathways to provide ADHD screening, medication management and support services to those student with ADHD. 


Can my home prescriber give me enough pills to last while I am away from home?

The federal Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) permits physicians to write 3, 30-day scripts for stimulant medication, provided each has a “do not fill until” date.  This 90-day strategy is then renewed over academic breaks (e.g., Thanksgiving, Spring Break).  Please see the DEA document C-II Medication Policy & Procedure for more detail.


What if I run out of medication?

Student Health Services may be able to write a limited supply for students who run short of medication.  This requires a medical evaluation and possible psychological screening.


How should I keep my stimulant medication (and other prescriptions) safe?

ADD/ADHD medications are Schedule II narcotics and cannot be shared, sold, or otherwise distributed without potential for criminal prosecution.  These substances are stolen and abused on college campuses.  You must take active efforts to guard the medication.  We recommend a locked safe area.


What are ‘accommodations’ and how can I get them?

According to the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), ADA as Amended (ADAAA) of 2008, and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, accommodations are “academic adjustments that ensure the student equal access to the course material and assist the student in demonstrating his/her knowledge.”  Examples of academic accommodations for a student with ADD could be extended time for exams, a note-taker in class, or a reduced distraction area to take an exam.

To receive an accommodation, the student with a qualified diagnosis must provide documentation from a licensed professional that supports the need for an academic adjustment. Meeting with the Disability Support Services (DSS) advisor and discussing the academic barriers the student experiences, as a result of the ADD/ADHD diagnosis, can help determine which reasonable and appropriate accommodation will best meet the student’s need.

For more information about how to register with Disability Support Services, feel free to view the informational video on the DSS website:


What services or programs are available on campus to help me?

There are a variety of services on campus to assist all students with their adjustment to college and attainment of academic success.  The first line of defense for most students is their academic advisor who can help with course selection and referral to specific help sources.  Counseling, Disability Support, and Student Wellness (CDSW) meets with students individually and in group settings to develop greater self-awareness and develop skills to support individual success and well-being.  Specifically, CDSW offers an ADHD support group each week to tackle challenges such as procrastination, organization, relationship building, and self-regulation.

Other sources of help include the Student Success Center, Math Help, Learning Enhancement Across Disciplines (LEAD) sessions, the Writing Center, and the Testing Center.  Additionally, the Office of Undergraduate Studies offers advising and skill building sessions to help with the ongoing adjustment to college life.

Please be aware that unlike your secondary education, which may have included an Individual Education Plan (IEP) or specialized teachers, you will have to actively seek out assistance and resources for ADD/ADHD-related problems.


What if I discover I have ADD/ADHD once on campus?

By definition, ADD/ADHD is a chronic condition and symptoms must be present before age 7 (DSM-IV).  Adult-onset symptoms can occur, but this is much less frequent.


Is there any way that I can get diagnosed or treated on campus?

There are NO services on campus for the diagnosis of ADD/ADHD nor the treatment thereof with medications.  We have developed regional referral sources that can complete an assessment.  Student Health Services has partnered with Pathways to provide ADHD screening, medication management and support services to those student with ADHD.  The evaluation needed to make the diagnosis of ADD/ADHD is a lengthy (~1 month) and costly (~$500.00) process.


I tried a friend’s medication and it works, I think I have ADD/ADHD. 

Final exams are next week and I’m pretty sure I have ADD/ADHD.  How can I get a script? 

What’s the big deal, why can’t I just get medication; I’ve tried it and it really helps?

In a word, “No.”  These medications have quickly developed a reputation as ‘academic steroids’ and there is a high abuse rate on campuses.  Proper, accurate diagnosis is a time consuming, detailed process; there is no valid ‘quickie’ diagnostic process.  Moreover, stimulant medications must be taken as prescribed from a competent provider.  Misuse can lead to addiction and legal consequences.